Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Salmon Creek



With Spring break around the corner I am getting very excited to go home. I am from a tiny town in northern San Luis Obispo County called Cambria. Most people know of it because of the Hearst Castle which is a mere 5 miles from where I grew up. To say plainly, I grew up in a beautiful place. Being just south of Big Sur, my friends and I loved driving up the absolutely breathtaking coast and either going to the beach at Sand dollar or hiking on the many hikes Big Sur has to offer. It’s safe to say Big Sur is one of my favorite places in the world (so far!).
 Sand Dollar Beach
 A couple of my best friends and I at one of the many lookouts in Big Sur

Since I’m excited about visiting some old hikes I thought I would write about one of my favorites, Salmon Creek. Salmon Creek is in southern Big Sur and has a quite the epic waterfall that flows heavily during the winter. 
The hike is heavily shaded by trees, the air is crisp and fresh, and the sights are amazing. I'd have to say my favorite times at Salmon creek is when we wear our bathing suits, throw on some old tennis shoes that we don’t mind getting wet/dirty, then follow the creek up as far as we want. We swim when the waters deep enough, bask on warm rocks, and climb around exploring. This type of hike is definitely reserved for summer time when it's warm enough. The water is always cold, but extra exxxtra cold during the winter.
 We even suited up and went in the water this January, it was freezing to say the least.
I can't wait to be cruising up hwy 1 with some of my best friends and good vibes. If you ever get the opportunity to visit Big Sur TAKE IT. You will not regret it.

4 comments:

  1. We love Big Sur too. Your pictures are great and next time we go, we'll visit Salmon Creek and Sand Dollar beach. We hiked to a waterfall that's near Big Sur State Park that was nice. Pfieffer Beach is also nice. Do you have a place you like to stay in Big Sur? We'd like to try somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love staying at Plaskett Creek, it's a campground right across the street from Sand Dollar beach.

      Delete
  2. Harper, this looks like such a great time! These photos are beautiful and I can just see the happiness radiating out from you and your friends. How lucky to have such a beautiful wonderland and great friends to share it with. I love the idea of hiking in bathing suits and old sneakers and just jumping in when the water looks fine. And I love that some wore wetsuits, that proves the coldness. I hope to try this sometime!
    cs5711

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You have to visit sometime it is amazing!

      Delete